TERMS OF REFERENCE – CONSULTANCY TO REVIEW THE BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT UNIT
DEADLINE: December 12, 2023
SHARE THIS JOB:
The African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) is a leading Africa-based, African-led, international research institution headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, with a regional office in Dakar, Senegal. Our researchers are contributing to the body of evidence about the critical issues in population health and wellbeing impeding Africa’s development in order to provide strong direction and recommendations to policy- and decision-makers at all levels. Our priority research areas are Human Development, Health and well-being, Data Science and Evaluation, and Population Dynamics and Urbanization in Africa. In addition to the research component, APHRC has other programmatic areas in Research and Related Capacity Strengthening, Policy Engagement and Communications, and International programs.
APHRC seeks to engage a qualified and experienced consultant or firm to undertake a comprehensive review of our Business Development Unit (BDU). The goal is to create a forward-thinking, innovative, and strategic unit with a “Blue Ocean” mentality that drives resource mobilization and supports the organization’s mission and strategic aspirations.
The primary objective of this consultancy is to create a BDU that:
- Is forward thinking and can adopt a Blue Ocean mentality.
- Identifies growth opportunities and innovative approaches for diversifying APHRC’s funding sources.
- Explores potential partnerships, collaborations, and strategic alliances with international and regional stakeholders.
- Enhances APHRC’s visibility and reputation in the field of population, health, education, urbanization and data science research as well as in capacity.
- Promotes sustainability and financial resilience for APHRC.
- Ensures alignment with APHRC’s Strategic Plan, mission and core values.
Scope of Work
The consultant(s) will be responsible for:
- Conducting a thorough review of the current BDU to understand where the BDU wants to go then recommend new strategies and approaches in line with global trends and strategic aspirations.
- Constituting a forward-thinking BDU structure and composition, with a delineation of fundraising and grants management.
- Developing theme-specific strategies that include innovation roadmaps and resource plans.
- Providing recommendations on resource allocation, budgeting, and risk management strategies to support the implementation of the strategy.
- Providing recommendations on the BDU structure and skill set required to meet the objectives.
The consultant(s) shall deliver the following:
- An inception report outlining the methodology, work plan, and data collection tools.
- A proposed BDU structure and composition (required skills).
- Theme-specific resource mobilization strategies.
- Presentation of the strategies to APHRC’s senior management.
- A final report incorporating feedback and recommendations from APHRC’s management.
The consultancy is expected to be completed within three months from the date of signing the contract.
The consultant(s) or consulting firm should have:
- A strong background and more than ten (10) years in resource mobilization, strategy development, and grants writing.
- Proven experience working with academic or research organizations, non-profits, or institutions with a similar mission.
- Knowledge of the African funding landscape and experience working in the African context.
- Excellent analytical and communication skills.
The consultant(s) will report to the Deputy Executive Director (DED).
Interested consultants or firms should submit a narrative proposal, a detailed budget outlining all costs associated with the consultancy, curriculum vitae, relevant past work, and references.
Proposals will be evaluated based on:
- Qualifications and experience of the consultant(s) or firm.
- Proposed methodology and approach.
- Clarity and relevance of the budget proposal.
- Past performance and references.
APHRC reserves the right to accept or reject any proposal and is not bound to select the lowest-priced proposal.
All information obtained during the consultancy shall be treated as confidential and may not be disclosed to any third party without the written consent of APHRC.
How to apply
Interested consultants or firms should submit their proposals to [email protected] and copy [email protected] by 12th December 2023, 5.00 pm EAT. Please use “Business Development Unit Review” as the subject title of your email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. For inquiries or clarifications regarding this consultancy, please write to [email protected] . Applications should be should be addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
African Population and Health Research Center, Inc
APHRC Campus, Manga Close, off Kirawa Road, Kitisuru
P.O. Box 10787-GPO, Nairobi
APHRC is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace. All employment decisions are made based on qualifications and organizational needs. Reasonable accommodation may be provided to applicants with disabilities upon request to support their participation in the recruitment process.