Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
MSF is a civil society initiative that brings together individuals committed to the assistance of other human beings in crisis. As such MSF is by choice an association.
Each individual working with MSF does it out of conviction and is ready to uphold the values and principles of MSF.
The MSF movement is built around five operational directorates supported by MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together worldwide. MSF OCBA is one of those directorates. The operations are implemented by field teams and the mission coordination teams; together with the organizational units based in Barcelona, Athens and decentralised in Nairobi, Dakar and Amman. The field operations are guided and supported by 5 Operational Cells, the Emergency Unit and other departments supporting operations
Water and Sanitation Specialist
Being a water and sanitation specialist (WATSAN) with MSF is a diverse and stimulating job. From sourcing and delivering clean drinking water to thousands of people displaced by conflict in Nigeria, to siting and building latrines for people who have lost everything in an earthquake, MSF WATSANs are essential to ensure that people in desperate situations access the basic necessities to survive.
Our WATSANs usually work in the project, and manage a variety of work including hospital waste management, health promotion and clean water provision.
It’s an exciting and diverse role and you would be responsible for some or all of the following:
- Managing a team of waste zone operators, hygiene promoters, WATSAN assistants and various others
- Sourcing and delivering clean water to populations in need
- Siting and constructing latrines and other sanitation facilities
- Managing hospital waste
- Supervising hygiene promotiom
- Education in Civil Engineering, Water and Sanitation, Land and Water Management (preferably international), or similar
- Significant work experience in water and sanitation
- Experience in managing, supervising and training others
- Available for a minimum of nine months
- Minimum of three months’ work, volunteering or travel experience in developing countries
- Willingness to work in unstable areas
- Adaptable and able to work in a multicultural team
- Flexible and able to manage stress
- Able to provide training and supervision to others
- Fluency in English
- Knowledge of Arabic and or French
- Experience working with INGOs
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, please, submit your CV and cover letter
- Replies will only be sent to short-listed candidates