Nairobi, Nairobi, Kenya – Full Time
Kenya Red Cross Society (KRCS) is one of the largest national humanitarian organizations in Kenya. Its mission is to be the leading humanitarian organization in Kenya delivering excellent quality service of preventing and alleviating human suffering.
KRCS works in collaboration with other Red Cross Red Crescent partners, including the Finnish Red Cross (FRC); which financially and technically contributes to disaster response and resilience programmes throughout the region.
The Society is looking for a qualified person to fill the following position:
|Position Title: Regional HR & Administration Assistant Reporting to: Line Manager Head of Region, East Africa Technical Manager: Head of HR, Finnish Red Cross Helsinki HQ Job location: Finnish Red Cross office Duration: 1 (one) Year Contract with possibility of extension
The Kenya Red Cross Society hosts Finnish Red Cross regional office in Kenya. The Nairobi-based office managed by the Head of Region for East African countries is composed of 15 staff members working for various African countries. East Africa, either integrated to the International Federation of the Red Cross Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) or hosting national Red Cross or Red Crescent Society, (e.g., Kenya Red Cross Society, Ethiopia Red Cross Society, Somali Red Crescent Society).
The key role of the Regional HR and Administration assistant is to support the Finnish Red Cross Helsinki headquarters (HQ) HR Unit and the Head of Region to ensure that all Finnish Red Cross East Africa staff members receive timely and effective assistance in human resource related administrative issues, irrespective of the staff member’s contractual arrangements.
The basis for the successful management of the Regional HR and Administration assistantduties lies in thorough familiarization with the rules and regulations behind the different contractual arrangements.
The Regional HR and Administration assistantassists the Head of Region/Country Manager and the HQ HR Officer in staff recruitment and following up local contracting processes. She/he assists the Head of Region/Country Manager to settle in their respective mission countries by providing in-country (Kenya) or remote support to their in-country arrangements and supporting the onboarding by organizing briefings and ensuring new staff members are familiar with Finnish Red Cross administrative practices.
The Regional HR and Administration assistant assist the Head of Region to update in-country policies and practices, related to staff member housing, vehicle use, schooling, and health care services among other things. He/she will also support the Head of Region/Country Manager to manage the staff leave records, staff-related cost and travel claims in timely and accurate manner and assists the supervisors in monitoring HR costs in different countries.
As Regional HR and Administration assistant, she/he works in close contact with International Aid HR Unit staff members enhancing relevant information sharing between the regions and HQ.
Key tasks of the Regional HR and Administration assistant include but are not limited to the following duties:
- On local recruitments, liaises with IFRC or NS HR department: handling applications follow up of recruitment process, coordinating interviews, following up on contracting processes.
- On international staff deployments, makes practical arrangements before, during and after the employment period including travel documents and entry visas, residential permits, security briefing bookings, travel and accommodation arrangements.
- Assists in the Head of Region/Country Managers to settle down new staff members to their duty station countries by arranging local briefings, insurances, staff equipment, housing (in Kenya mainly), among other things as well as instructing on Finnish Red Cross HR and admin practices.
- Assist the Head of Region and HQ HR in running effective HR and admin processes related to staff member work time and leave monitoring, management of travel and cost claims, monitoring staff costs, and ensuring different contractual terms are followed.
- Supports the East Africa regional team in Nairobi in arranging visits, meetings, and team days in Kenya and to liaise with Kenya Red Cross in office related issues.
- Together with the HQ HR team, answer HR and administration related queries and support the field staff members in the efficient use of Finnish Red Cross HR and admin related on-line systems and processes.
- Supports the Head of Region and HQ HR in any other HR or administrative issues as requested.
Proven skills and experience within:
- University/College degree in Human Resource management related field
- At least 2 years of experience in the field of Human Resource management and administration.
- Practical experience and knowledge on key HR management processes (recruitment, contracting, onboarding, staff budgeting and administration).
- Experience in managing confidential and high-sensitive personnel data.
- Experience in working in or volunteering for a Civil Society Organisation preferred, experience within the Red Cross Movement is an advantage.
- Self-management within a distance management setup
- Experience of working for the Red Cross/Red Crescent or International Humanitarian agency.
- Effective relationship management and teamwork skills with multicultural teams and contexts.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent individual stress management skills and eye for staff well-being.
- Effective administrative and financial management skills.
- Capacity to use different HR related administrative and financial software independently and support their use.
- Fluent written and spoken English.
- French is an advantage.
- Personal skills
- Flexibility, ability to adapt to changing working conditions and situations.
- High intercultural and gender sensitivity, and resilience.
Revision of the job description
The description of responsibilities and tasks in this job description is indicative. It is the responsibility of the incumbent to be an active and supportive member of the regional team and the Red Cross as such. This means that the incumbent may be asked to take on additional responsibilities and tasks that are not described herein. If the changes in responsibilities and tasks constitute more than 25 % of the working hours over a period, the incumbent or the manager can suggest a revision of the job description.
Interested candidates who meet the above qualifications should apply strictly through https://www.redcross.or.ke/careers to reach us not later than 8th November 2023; only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Job disclaimer and notification:
Kenya Red Cross Society is an equal opportunity employer and does not charge / accept any amount or security deposit from job seekers during the selection process or while inviting candidates for an interview.
Kenya Red Cross Society is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment