DECLARATION OF VACANCY FOR THE POSITION OF CHIEF CONSERVATOR OF FORESTS-KFS GRADE 1 REF KFS/CCF/01/2023 (1) POST
The Kenya Forest Service (KFS) is a State Corporation established by the Forest Conservation & Management Act of 2016. The Service is mandated to conserve, develop and sustainably manage forests and allied resources for environmental stability and the social-economic development of the people of Kenya.
In line with the provisions of the Forest Conservation and Management Act, 2016, the Service wishes to recruit a competent and qualified person to fill the position of the Chief Conservator of Forests under four (4) year contract.
The Chief Conservator of Forests shall, subject to the direction of the Board, be responsible for the direction of the affairs and transactions of the Service and the exercise, discharge and performance of its objectives, functions and duties.
Chief Conservator of Forests shall report to Kenya Forest Service Board of Directors.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provide strategic leadership on day to-day Operations and Management of Kenya Forest Service.
2. Provide leadership, command, control and superintendence of the uniformed and disciplined cadre of the Service.
3. Lead and coordinate conservation, management and development of forest resources in all public, private and community lands.
4. Oversee and participate in developing, reviewing and implementing Kenya Forest Service policies, strategies and programmes.
5. As secretary and member to Board, oversee and ensure the preparation and implementation of the Board decisions.
6. Prepare and implement the Board’s work plans, budgets and performance contracts
7. Be responsible for formulation implementation and achievement of the Service’ Mandate, Mission, Vision and Strategic goals.
8. Participate in the review and formulation of Forest legislation, Policy and Regulations.
9. Provide policy direction on Forest Management Plans and licensing for forest products.
10. Ensure that the Service complies with the Constitution, Statutory legislations and regulations in Governing KFS.
11. Ensure compliance with forestry related international agreements, protocols, treaties and conventions that impact on forestry.
12. Coordinate linkages and mutual cooperation bilateral, regional, multilateral and international matters relating to forestry development interventions
13. Provide leadership, guidance and linkages to County Governments forestry functions.
14. Set standards and procedures for resource mobilization for Forestry development.
15. Lead, coordinate and participate in the formulation and development of the arbitration and settlement of disputes standards in regards to KFS property rights.
16. Oversee promotion of forest research, knowledge development, innovation and technology transfer.
17. Authorize security operation within the service for the protection of forest resources.
18. Oversee the approval of the Forest management plans for sustainable forest management.
19. Oversee the preparation of Kenya Forest Service work plans, budgets, performance contracts and strategic plans.
20. Oversee and participate in the management of the Institution’s human and financial resources.
21. Oversee institutional monitoring, evaluation and reporting on all forestry matters.
22. Recruit, lead and motivate the KFS’s employees to ensure the cost-effective use and development of the Organization’s physical, human and Financial Resources
23. Maintain a full financial accounting system and be accountable for the overall performance of the KFS. Be responsible for ensuring compliance with Parliamentary and Government requirements in the control of expenditure.
24. Deepen the relationship between KFS and Stake holders in the Management of the forest Resources.
25. Implement the Performance Contract entered into between the KFS and Parent Ministry
26. Be responsible for execution and communication of the Board’s strategies, decisions and policies and further serve as a link between the Board and Management.
27. As the Principal spokesperson of the Service, enhance corporate image of the Service.
28. Be responsible for approval of Management Plans and Licensing of Forest Operations.
29. Oversee Collaboration with research institutions in identifying research needs and applying research findings.
30. Promote National interests and compliance in relation to international forest conventions and principles.
31. Oversee effective management of human capital for optimal productivity
32. Oversee the development and implementation of suitable performance management metrics and reporting structures to achieve set performance targets.
33. Oversee Management of the Kenya Forestry College.
34. Grow and efficiently manage the Service’s resources for sustainable corporate growth and long-term viability
35. Promote Public values and Principles
36. Mentorship and coaching
In order to be considered the applicant must:
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Forestry from a recognized institution
2. Master’s Degree in Relevant field from a recognized institution
3. Professional qualification and membership where applicable
4. Strategic Leadership Management course lasting not less than four (4) weeks
5. Have at least fifteen (15) years’ of relevant work experience in the Forestry Sector with at least least 5 years in Senior management
6. Experience in Strategic Leadership Development, Corporate Governance Knowledge and understanding of forestry management and protection will be an added advantage
7. Fulfil the requirements of Chapter 6 of the Constitution
Skills and attributes
- Presentation skills,
- Communication skills,
- Report writing skills
- Analytical skills,
- Interpersonal skills,
- Creativity and innovation,
- Leadership skills,
- Relationship management skills.
How to Apply;
Interested candidates who meet the requirements are asked to apply by visiting Kenya Forest Service website: http://www.kenyaforestservice.org and select the JOBS TAB to proceed with the online registration. Following successful online registration, the candidates will receive a notification email.
In addition to the online registration, applicants MUST PRINT and attach the NOTIFICATION EMAIL as the first page of the hard copy application.
The hard copy application should clearly indicate reference number for the position applied for and attaching current curriculum vitae (clearly indicating the mobile number, names and contact details of three referees), copies of relevant testimonials, academic and professional certificates and a copy of National identity card.
The application should clearly be marked with reference number for the position applied for and should either be sent through the post office or hand delivered to the address provided below in a sealed envelope marked “APPLICATION FOR CHIEF CONSERVATOR OF FORESTS”; so as to reach Kenya Forest Service not later than Wednesday, 31st May, 2023 by 5.00pm.
The application will not be considered complete unless the two steps are successfully undertaken. Further, submission of the application through email shall not be considered.
NB: The application will NOT be considered complete until the two steps are successfully undertaken. Further, submission of the applications through email shall NOT be considered.
CHAIRMAN, BOARD OF DIRECTORS
KENYA FOREST SERVICE, KARURA, OFF KIAMBU ROAD,
P. O. BOX 30513-00100, G.P.O.
Canvassing will lead to disqualification. The Service is ISO accredited and an equal opportunity employer. Applicants living with disabilities and those from marginalized areas and minority communities are encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.