Career Opportunities: Innovations Intern, Kenya Country Office (827257)
Requisition ID 827257 – Posted 18/05/2023 – Short Term Monthly – Africa, Central & Eastern – Kenya – Nairobi – Working Job Language (1) – OTHER
Job Description Print Preview
Apply Save Job Email Job to Friend Return to List
SAVING LIVES. CHANGING LIVES.
BEGIN YOUR HUMANITARIAN JOURNEY WITH WFP.
The World Food Programme, Kenya Country Office based in Nairobi is looking for vibrant, innovative, and multi-talented students.
An internship at WFP is a great opportunity to acquire practical work experience while contributing to the goal of reaching Zero Hunger
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status, physical or mental disability.
WFP does not charge a fee for any of the stages throughout the recruitment & selection process.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide.
The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
The Internship Programme is a learning opportunity aimed at attracting young and talented candidates. The programme will provide the successful candidates with the opportunity to put into practice and implement their learned and academic knowledge in a field related to the work of WFP.
This will promote better understanding of WFP Kenya mandate and programmes. Similarly, the programme will provide WFP with qualified individuals specializing in relevant fields in line with WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
WFP’s activities include food assistance for relief, school feeding, safety nets, nutrition, and food assistance for assets creation through provision of in-kind and cash-based transfers. You will be part of an efficient and dynamic team that effectively support in the implementation of WFP’s country strategic plan for Kenya.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
The intern, reporting to the Innovations lead, is expected to:
- Support innovation projects
- Assist in documenting and flowcharting of business processes
- Assist in the organization and preparation of materials for events, meetings, innovation boot-camps and workshops (in person and virtual)
- Assist in drafting and writing documents and communication materials
- Conduct research regarding technology trends and innovations in the humanitarian sector
- Assist in communication activities
- Support any other activities related to innovation and zero hunger as required.
- Effective support to the innovation team and activities
- Well documented processes & communication materials developed
- Well researched information on emerging innovations
- Quality reports
- Successful preparation of innovation meetings
- Innovative ideas
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Collaborative spirit able to liaise with a wide range of people at all levels and across different cultures and to act with credibility and diplomacy.
- Capacity to work within procedural and process specifications.
- Strong organizational skills.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Interns receive a monthly stipend from WFP depending on the duty station of assignment.
- WFP is not responsible for living expenses, arrangements for accommodation, necessary visas and related costs.
- WFP will recognize candidates’ educational credentials from recognized institutions that have been certified by competent international or national authorities such as the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) or Ministries of Education.
- The internship duration is 8 months, full-time.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Currently enrolled in a graduate programme and have attended classes in the past 12 months, or a recent graduate from a graduate programme (within six months prior to the application to the internship programme).
- Areas of studies in the field of Business, Entrepreneurship, Agriculture, Nutrition, International Development or other relevant are preferred.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
- The deadline for receiving applications for this position is June 10, 2023
- Applications for this position will close at 11:59 p.m. (East African Time) on the deadline date.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- WFP embraces diversity and equal opportunity. We are committed to building a team that celebrates diversity and inclusivity in all ways.
- Employment is decided on the basis of competitive selection, qualifications and merit.
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications.
WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.