Reference number: 2335
Job status: In-progress
Job category: Consultancy
Duty station: Remote or Bogor, Indonesia or Nairobi, Kenya
The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
CIFOR-ICRAF is looking for a
News Editor/Content Manager Consultant
This full-time consultancy is an opportunity for a skilled, energetic and creative science journalist/editor to run and shape established, respected online news sites under the guidance of the Head of Global Outreach and Engagement.
CIFOR-ICRAF’s news sites are key elements of the organisation’s communications strategy, reaching thousands of people weekly and reporting new research findings, on-the-ground projects and analysis in language accessible to a broad readership, while maintaining scientific accuracy and journalistic styles and principles. Articles are written by consultant science writers working remotely, by partners the world. Most are also translated into French, Spanish, Bahasa Indonesia and other languages.
CIFOR-ICRAF’s news sites are both crucial resources for researchers, academics, policymakers, students, the general public and journalists. Key to its success are the quality and accessibility of the writing, the strong scientific base, the volume of stories published and the production of special features.
The News Editor/Content Manager will support CIFOR-ICRAF’s news sites’ ongoing success through their experience in science journalism, flair for writing catchy headlines and compelling leads, ability to spot and fix story flaws, genuine interest in science, environment and development, and a whole lot of energy and spirit.
Duties and responsibilities
The News Editor/Content Manager will oversee the day-to-day running of CIFOR-ICRAF’s news sites and develop content for the organisation’s digital channels and direct the production of multimedia content. From reporting, researching and writing, to commissioning, copyediting, content packaging and disseminating, this role will oversee a range of materials including news stories, feature articles, op-eds, speeches, factsheets, briefs and infographics, and will be used to raise awareness about global issues that CIFOR-ICRAF research addresses, as well as the organisation’s activities and will be used to promote the organisation’s work.
- Manage all facets of day-to-day publication, including but not limited to building a content calendar, commissioning articles and liaising with writers, scientists and stakeholders
- Interview, research and write engaging, scientifically accurate content, including blogs, briefs, press releases, news items and leaflets
- Develop content for CIFOR-ICRAF websites
- Assist with newsletter production
- Source photos, fact-check content and copyedit
- Recruit and cultivate a roster of talented, diverse writers
- Develop strategies for coverage of different kinds of events and news coverage
- Develop relationships with partner organisations and stay abreast of latest trends and research
- Plan conference coverage, theme-based coverage, news coverage
- Develop monthly in-depth features highlighting key aspects of CIFOR-ICRAF’s work
- Coordinate with social media team to support outreach via Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram and other platforms
- Liaise with production team to produce graphic art images and infographics for stories or social media
- Increase global profile and reach of CIFOR-ICRAF news sites
- Post stories on website, update carousel and troubleshoot technical issues
Education, knowledge and experience
- The ideal candidate would have an undergraduate degree in journalism or a related field, a master’s in a subject other than communication (or a combination thereof) and at least five years of print journalism experience
- Fluency in English (flawless idiomatic written English). Other major languages, especially French and Spanish, an asset
- Experience in working for a research organisation or within the development sector is desirable
Personal attributes and competencies
- Be excited by science and environmental literature and issues – someone who genuinely enjoys engaging with scientists and stakeholders and the topics they research.
- Have a passion for creative and innovative storytelling and connecting with targeted audiences.
- Be a team player as well as a self-starter.
- Take direction well.
- An eye for ROI.
- Have a proven ability to work well in a fast-paced environment; have a sense of humour and enjoy the art of communication
- Have a strong client-service approach.
- Be skilled at copyediting other journalists’ work, able to rewrite a clumsy or jargon-filled sentence, fix a script, and spot typos.
- Have a flair for writing catchy headlines and intriguing leads.
- Be a skilled journalist who can spot a great angle and tell a strong story.
- Have a good understanding of the complementary use of photos, text and multimedia.
- Have experience in using WordPress and an understanding of how social media works.
- Be able to maintain the publishing pipeline, with a large number of stories on the go at any time, and able to adapt to changing circumstances.
- Be able to come up with and develop ideas for communicating science for impact, and be open to and excited by new possibilities
Terms and conditions
- This is a consultancy position.
- Period of the consultancy is 1 (one) year.
- Work location: Remote or Bogor, Indonesia or Nairobi, Kenya
To apply, please visit our career site at: https://www.cifor.org/careers and https://www.worldagroforestry.org/working-for-icraf
To learn more about CIFOR-ICRAF, please visit our websites at: https://www.cifor.org and www.worldagroforestry.org
CIFOR-ICRAF promotes Gender Diversity – Applications from women professionals are encouraged.
CIFOR-ICRAF is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity.
The application deadline is 25 May-2023
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.